Sunday, June 29, 2008

Is There Anybody Out There?

Today marks the one week anniversary of "GARLICKBUDS 2.0"

To say that it's off to a slow start would be an understatement. I started this blog with no illusions of high readership and a knowledge that my content was so personal that it wouldn't generate a large audience. I've even joked that I'm writing this regardless of whether or not anybody reads it.

Unfortunately, so far nobody is.

I hold hope that eventually, I will find an audience and that the addition of two way interactivity may spark participation in this project but I have my reasonable doubts. Despite positing this blog's existence on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Plurk and e-mail and making some direct invitations, I remain unread at the one week mark. But it IS ok!

The web is FILLED with blogs; MILLIONS of them and you have to have content that will draw high numbers in order to achieve a large following. This is not, nor will it EVER be, about gossip, inuendo, or a single topic! It's going to be equal parts "the world according to me" and contributions from the eventual readers/viewers/listeners. I looked upon this from last Sunday's launch as a note in a bottle type of affair; throw something out there and see if anyone finds it.

I'm going to continue learning the mechanics and design of blogging and in time, I hope to add technology to foster interactivity. Someday, this will hopefully be like the first week of a new business whose customers just haven't read the ads or randomly dropped in and I'll look back on this as a watermark that measured this blog's genesis.

Until the readers and players show up, I'm still having fun just building this thing! When others get here, they're going to have catching up to do but they'll also have content!

You have to walk before you can run!

No comments: